Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Like Bread & Butter: The Gift of Being One with Your Horse

It's been a bit of a bummer that in the last month before heading to CA, Serendipity, my life horse, started to show more pronounced breathing difficulties, leading to a diagnosis of heaves. This of course, makes getting her fit to have fun, a bit of a challenge.

Yet, we still had to make a little progress towards fitness, so in the final week before leaving, I brought my 22 year old Soul Friend out to ride.



As I mounted her bareback, I felt a little apologetic, telling her, "I'm sorry. I know you aren't feeling all that great, but we've got to get you a bit stronger for our upcoming beach adventures. I promise, it will just be a short ride."

"Oh, it's no big deal. I could carry you all day long. I've carried you my whole life: It's like we're bread & butter!," she replied.

"Ha! Bread & butter?!," I asked, not quite sure what she meant.

"Well yeah, bread easily carries a thin coating of butter, and it's like they belong together. The two become One. And both are better together. The bread doesn't worry about carrying the butter, it's no big whoop!"


"No big whoop, eh?!," I replied.

"Yup, no big whoop!", she affirmed and off we went as she showed me that energetically, it's like her back has my body programmed into it, like she KNOWS how to carry me, because we've been together almost as long as she's been alive.

And with that I relaxed into the peaceful, rocking sensation of becoming One with this magnificent being who has been my best friend for almost 20 years, knowing that we belong together as surely as bread & butter!


"But not peanut butter and jelly," she spoke at the end of the ride, "that's an entirely different metaphor!"

Indeed!

May your summer be filled with the deepest levels of closeness with your most precious horse friends! And may we ALL get the gift of feeling like Bread & Butter with our Horses!

When have you felt most at One with your horse(s)? Please share in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment